2014年4月8日星期二

Stimulated by Paprika

My early years were spent in Hungary so it should come as no surprise that my first venture into the world of chemistry involved paprika. Bread smeared with goose fat was a popular childhood delight,polyester resin always topped with a sprinkling of paprika. No worries about cholesterol back then! One day, however, I got a spicy surprise as I bit into my snack. 

The paprika practically set my mouth on fire! My mother, it seems, had bought hot paprika instead of the usual sweet version. I was only about seven years old at the time, but it set me thinking. The hot stuff looked exactly the same as the sweet.acrylic resin What was the difference, I wondered? I didn’t realize it at the time, but I was actually dipping my toes into the deep pool of chemistry. Many times since I have thought about how that paprika incident sparked my chemical curiosity which eventually would burst into a flame.alkyd resin 

That flame burned brightly through the sixties as I became more and more enthralled by the wonders of chemistry. I remember visiting the DuPont pavilion at the New York World’s Fair in 1964 and being thrilled by a Broadway style musical entitled the “Wonderful World of Chemistry.” What a great show it was. Everything in the DuPont theatre was made of some newly-invented material.The engine being the most vital part but still the shafts ad gear bright-tools what manages the engine once it start its work else. 

Doors featured alkyd resin paint and polyacetal doorknobs, the ceiling was made of polyvinyl fluoride, floors were carpeted with nylon and seats covered with polyvinyl chloride.However you don't have to fear that your vehicle is akupunktur københavn to shake like a belly dancer if you do use solid tyres. The polyester curtain went up to reveal dancers in colorful spandex costumes, tapping their polyurethane shoes on an acrylic-glossed stage. 

Next to the DuPont pavilion was a NASA display of rockets and an exhibit that featured the planned trip to the moon, including samples of the special fabrics and plastics that chemists had designed for the fledgling space program. Chemistry was flying high! Nobody took issue with DuPont’s slogan of “Better Things for Better Living Through Chemistry.” 

The word “chemical” was not seen to be synonymous with “poison” or “toxin” and when you were introduced as a student studying chemistry, you were not looked upon as someone who was destined destroy people’s health with a plethora of untested toxins or some mad scientist preparing to wreak havoc with the environment.

没有评论:

发表评论